This is a great weekend breakfast. You prep it the night before and after a 30 minute warm up you bake it for another 30 minutes. That is the perfect amount of time to get your coffee brewed, table set, and the family up and at ‘em.
I like to serve this with sausage or bacon and apple slices.
Caramel French Toast Bake
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
- 6 1 inch thick slices French bread
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- Spray an 8 by 8 baking dish with non stick spray.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat combine the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Pour caramel into prepared pan.
- Cut or tear the French bread in to 1 inch cubes. No need to be exact but you do want them roughly the same size.
- Place half the bread over the caramel.
- Combine the white sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle half the cinnamon sugar over the bread.
- Add the other half of the bread in the pan and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, vanilla, and milk.
- Pour the custard over the bread and press down lightly if needed.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or over night.
- Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden and cooked through. A knife inserted in the middle should be clean when removed.
- Cool slightly before serving,
You may also like:
For more in this series click below
Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from my readers so comments are welcome. I have over 100 more recipes in the index if you want to check them out.