This is not a traditional Southern cornbread. The ratio of flour to cornmeal makes the texture of the cornbread a bit more cake like and the cheese and green chiles add a nice punch of flavor. This would be an excellent accompaniment to many soups.
Cheddar and Green Chile Cornbread
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir until moistened.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 20-25 minutes or until golden and a tester comes out with fine crumbs.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
You may also like:
Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from my readers so comments are welcome. I have over 100 more recipes in the index if you want to check them out.