One of my favorite parts of having a food blog is trying foods I might never have made before. Being a part of the Secret Recipe Club has opened my culinary horizons and this month is no exception.
As soon as I saw the recipe for Ham and Cheese Rosti on PheMOMenom I knew that was what I had to make. Potatoes and ham are a favorite combination and adding Swiss cheese and spinach makes this a bit more unusual.
This will be a regular on our breakfast for dinner menu. I did have a bit of trouble with it wanting to fall apart but I think it was because I didn’t dry the potatoes well enough so it didn’t get quite as crispy as it should.
Ham, Swiss, and Spinach Rösti
- 1 russet potato, peeled, shredded, rinsed with cold water, and patted very dry
- 3/4 cup diced ham
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 Tablespoon minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Hefty pinch Kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- a pinch ground red (cayenne) pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Mix together all ingredients except for 1/4 cup of the cheese and the olive oil.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of the oil in a 9 inch skillet over medium heat. If you’re afraid of sticking spray the skillet with cooking spray before adding oil.
- Cook the potato mixture until golden on bottom, invert on plate or pan lid. Add remaining oil and place potato cake golden side up in skillet. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese and cook until bottom is golden.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.